Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Home / News / Government State / Board recommends 27 historic sites for list

Board recommends 27 historic sites for list

ngregation Ahavis Achim Anshi Austria. Credit: New York Dept. of Parks Recreation and Historic Preservation

ngregation Ahavis Achim Anshi Austria. Credit: New York Dept. of Parks Recreation and Historic Preservation

The New York State Board for Historic Preservation has recommended adding 27 properties and sites to the state and national registers of historic places.

The listings can make properties eligible for public preservation help with grants and tax credits.

There are currently 120,000 on the national list from New York.

The 27 include the Charles Chauncey Dwight House in Auburn. Built in 1835, it was the residence of Judge Dwight, known for deciding a case regarding the constitutionality of the electric chair.

Other sites in Monroe County include Congregation Ahavis Achim Anshi Austria, in Rochester. Now known as the Congregation B’Nai Israel synagogue, the 1928 Georgian Revival structure is significant for its association with Jewish immigrants, mostly from Austria, who settled in northeast Rochester in the early 20th century.

The 1928 Tudor Revival home at 288 Wimbledon Road, Irondequoit is significant in the development of Wimbledon Road (Rogers Estates Subdivision), which was planned and developed by Fred B. Tosch, who recognized the value of the model home as a marketing tool and embraced it as a new way of attracting prospective customers.

Sites in Erie County include the Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company (A&P) Warehouse, Buffalo; Parkside Candy Shoppe and Factory, Buffalo; Sinclair, Rooney & Co. Building, Buffalo; and University Presbyterian Church, Buffalo – The church was constructed with an uncommon V-shaped plan erected in two phases: the original 1927 sanctuary wing aligned along Niagara Falls Boulevard, and the 1955 education wing oriented along Main Street.