Twenty-seven properties and sites throughout the state are being recommended by the state Board for Historic Preservation for consideration to the state and national registers of historic places.
Site in Monroe County include Congregation Ahavis Achim Anshi Austria in Rochester, now known as the Congregation B’Nai Israel synagogue. The 1928 Georgian Revival structure is significant for its association with Jewish immigrants, mostly from Austria, who settled in northeast Rochester in the early 20th century.
The 1928 Tudor Revival home at 288 Wimbledon Road, Irondequoit, is significant in the development of Wimbledon Road (Rogers Estates subdivision), which was planned and developed by Fred B. Tosch, who recognized the value of the model home as a marketing tool and embraced it as a new way of attracting prospective customers.
The listings can make properties eligible for public preservation help with grants and tax credits.
There are currently 120,000 on the national list from New York.
Other area sites included on the new list are:
- The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company Warehouse, Buffalo: Completed in 1917, the reinforced concrete warehouse served A&P, the largest retail grocer in the United States for much of the 20th century.
- Parkside Candy Shoppe and Factory, Buffalo: Built between 1925 and 1928, the store and factory complex is a good representative example of the type of independent candy store and candy manufacturer that frequently existed in American cities.
- Sinclair, Rooney & Co. Building, Buffalo: Constructed in 1909 for the wholesale milliner, it was designed to be flexible for the changing needs of light industrial work and later occupied by Remington Rand Inc., sellers of office supply and technology.
- University Presbyterian Church, Buffalo, was constructed with an uncommon V-shaped plan erected in two phases: The original 1927 sanctuary wing aligned along Niagara Falls Boulevard, and the 1955 education wing oriented along Main Street.
- Shepard Family Houses, Skaneateles: Two houses belonged to prominent local businessmen and civic leaders. The house at 28 Genesee Street, originally built in 1840, was purchased and enlarged by Norman Orlando Shepard in 1898. The house at 6 Hannum Street was constructed in 1901 by the elder Shepard as a wedding present for his son, Norman Joseph Shepard.
- Charles Chauncey Dwight House, Auburn – Originally built in 1835, the Queen Anne style house was expanded circa 1871 by Charles Chauncey Dwight, a prominent judge best known for deciding a case regarding the constitutionality of using electrocution as a means of criminal execution.
- Beaver Falls Grange Hall, Beaver Falls: 1892 building provided a center for education and entertainment for the Beaver Falls agricultural community.
- Mount St. Mary’s Hospital, Niagara Falls: The Sisters of St. Francis constructed the Neoclassical Revival style large-scale hospital in 1912-1914, when their smaller 30-bed hospital could no longer accommodate the growing demand.
- Fort Ontario Military Reservation, Oswego: The nomination expands and replaces an earlier National Register listing to obtain a more accurate and inclusive boundary more reflective of the fort’s military history.
- Lincoln School, Hornell: Well-preserved example of a neighborhood elementary school which replaced an earlier school destroyed by fire and operated from its opening in1924 until 1979.
For more information, visit the Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation website at http://nysparks.com/shpo/national-register/nominations.aspx.