North Carolina’s governor sues lawmakers for a measure that eliminates his elections board authority
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — North Carolina Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper sued state Republican lawmakers on Tuesday over a measure that eliminates his authority to pick elections board members, while voting rights groups filed yet another lawsuit challenging provisions of a law that they contend will discourage young people from voting. Both measures became law last […]
PHOENIX (AP) — A federal appeals court tossed out a lawsuit brought by former Arizona gubernatorial candidate Kari Lake that was previously dismissed, challenging use of electronic voting machines and sought to ban them in last year’s midterm elections. Lake and failed Arizona Secretary of State candidate Mark Finchem, both Republicans, filed a lawsuit in […]
The New York State Court of Appeals is scheduled to hear oral arguments in the Rochester police union’s challenge of the Police Accountability Board's creation.
A Rochester businessman is facing federal charges for allegedly fraudulently obtaining loans using others' financial information.
A judge in Cayuga County has stepped down after being accused of misconduct.
Raptors seek dismissal of lawsuit by Knicks accusing Toronto of conspiring to steal scouting secrets
The Toronto Raptors seek dismissal of a lawsuit filed by the New York Knicks that says the Raptors – including new head coach Darko Rajakovic — conspired to steal thousands of videos and scouting files through a former Knicks employee. The initial lawsuit the Knicks filed in Manhattan federal court seeks unspecified damages and a […]
LOS ANGELES (AP) — A federal court jury returned a $13.5 million verdict against the city of Los Angeles in a lawsuit over the death of a man after two police officers used their bodyweight on his back to restrain him, the plaintiff’s attorneys said Monday. Jacobo Juarez Cedillo, 50, died at a hospital five […]
A New York appeals court has reversed a conviction because of a lack of evidence.
LONDON (AP) — A lawyer for Donald Trump told a London judge Monday that the ex-president plans to prove that a discredited report by a former British spy that contained “shocking and scandalous claims” that he was compromised by Russians in his first bid for the presidency was wrong and harmed his reputation. Trump has […]
The Greater Rochester Association of Women Attorneys (GRAWA) will hold a judicial candidates luncheon Friday.
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Newly drawn county election districts in Galveston, where Juneteenth began, illegally weaken the voting power of Black and Latino residents and must be redone, a federal judge in Texas ruled Friday in the latest case of a court striking down a Republican-drawn political map. The decision by U.S. District Judge Jeffrey […]
The Judicial Evaluation Committee of the Greater Rochester Association for Women Attorneys (GRAWA) has released ratings of judicial candidates.
- Court of Appeals – Speedy trial: People v. Justice A.
- Fourth Department – Traffic stop: People v. McMillon
- Second Circuit – Fair Labor Standards Act: Abbott v. Comme Des Garcons, Ltd.
- Second Circuit – Plea agreements: Cook v. United States
- Fourth Department: Statute of limitations: Marino v. Weiler
- Fourth Department – Nail and mail service: Rebutting presumption of service L&W Supply Corporation v. Built-Rite Drywall Corp, et al
- Fourth Department – Mental Hygiene Law: Charles L. v. State of New York
- Second Circuit – Medicaid and Medicare certification: U.S. ex rel. Quartararo v. Cath. Health Sys. Of Long Island Inc.
- Fourth Department – Waiver of indictment: People v. King
- Fourth Department – Speedy trial: People v. Jordan
- Fourth Department – Rosario material: People v. Dennard
- Second Circuit – Magnuson-Stevens Act: State of New York v. Raimondo
- Split court affirms gun conviction
- N.Y. Court of Appeals reverses gun conviction
- NY board approves cannabis lawsuit settlements, paves way for retail dispensaries
- NY Court of Appeals reverses murder conviction because of illegal police search
- NY Court of Appeals reverses gun conviction over ineffective counsel
- Split court affirms gun conviction, finding search and arrest were legal
- NY appeals court vacates drug conviction over illegal police search
- Split Court of Appeals strips Police Accountability Board of disciplinary power