A bankruptcy court judge has extended the deadline for claims of alleged sexual abuse of adults against the Catholic Diocese of Buffalo.
BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) — The Roman Catholic Diocese of Rochester was the first in New York to seek bankruptcy protection under the weight of new sexual misconduct lawsuits, but lawyers and church leaders say it may not be the last. All eight of the state’s Roman Catholic dioceses face financial pressures as a result of […]
It took Robb Lawson until he was 45 to finally confront a dark memory from his days as a Boy Scout. Lawson was a teenager at the time, a member of a troop in Georgia, picked to attend a wilderness challenge to win entry in the Scouts’ prestigious Order of the Arrow. He recalls that […]
WILLIAMSVILLE, N.Y. (AP) — Western New York’s Tops grocery chain says it expects to emerge from bankruptcy “shortly,” after a court approved its restructuring plan. Tops Markets chief executive Frank Curci said Thursday the chain is poised to be a stronger and more competitive company. Headquartered in the Buffalo suburb of Williamsville, Tops announced in […]
NEW YORK (AP) — Sears filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection Monday, buckling under its massive debt load and staggering losses. The question now is whether a smaller version of the company that once dominated the American retail landscape can remain viable or whether the iconic brand will be forced out of business. Sears, which […]
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit – City of Concord, N.H. v. Northern New England Telephone Operations
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit Bankruptcy – Chapter 11 Reorganization Outstanding Tax Lien – Survival of Reorganization City of Concord, N.H. v. Northern New England Telephone Operations 14-3381-bk Judges Newman, Jacobs and Raggi Background: A secured creditor argues on appeal that its lien passed through a Chapter 11 reorganization unaffected, even though […]
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit – Bankruptcy – Jurisdiction – Arising In and Arising out of Jurisdiction Kirschenbaum v. U.S. Department of Labor 14-1144-bk Judges Katzmann, Lohier and Droney Background: The Chapter 7 bankruptcy trustee appealed from an order that held that the Bankruptcy Court did not have jurisdiction to […]
New York State Court of Appeals – Bankruptcy – Debtor/Creditor – Local Public Assistance Benefit – Rent-stabilized Lease Santiago-Monteverde v. Pereira No. 180 Judge Abdus-Salaam Background: At issue is the question of whether a bankruptcy debtor’s interest in her rent-stabilized lease be exempted from her bankruptcy estate pursuant to the New York State Debtor [&h[...]
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit – Bankruptcy – Equitable Mootness In re: BGI, Inc. 13-226-bk; 13-2288-bk; 13-2300-bk Judges Kearse, Straub and Carney Background: At issue is whether the doctrine of equitable mootness applies in Chapter 11 liquidation proceedings. The appellants are holders of unredeemed consumer gift cards issued by BGI. They […]
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit – Bankruptcy – Investment Securities Investor Protection Act – Comity Krys v. Farnum Place 13-3000 Judges Newman, Walker and Cabranes Background: At issue on appeal is whether it was proper to decline to conduct a Chapter 15 ancillary bankruptcy proceeding in the liquidation of Bernard L. […]
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit Bankruptcy Documented Financial Affairs — Barring Discharge Berger & Assocs. Attorneys, PC v. Kran 13-1931 Judges Straub, Sack and Lohier Background: The plaintiffs commenced an action against the debtor and his law partner to recoup fees owed under a referral agreement between the parties. The debtor and […]
New York State Court of Appeals Bankruptcy Partnership — Pending Hourly Lawyer’s Fee In re: Coudert Brothers and In re: Thelen LLP No. 137 & 136 Judge Read Background: At issue is whether, for the purposes of administering a related bankruptcy, New York law treats a dissolved law firm’s pending hourly fee matters as its […]
- NYS Advisory Committee on Judicial Ethics – Attorney misconduct: Opinion 22-164
- NYS Advisory Committee on Judicial Ethics – Independently written bench book: Opinion 22-163
- Fourth Department – Suppression: People v. Saeli
- Second Circuit – RICO: Horn v. Medical Marijuana Inc.
- NYS Advisory Committee on Judicial Ethics – Uncompensated interview: Opinion 22-159
- NYS Advisory Committee on Judicial Ethics – Uncompensated guest speaker: Opinion 22-158
- Fourth Department – Negligent performance: Rosenthal v. Syracuse University, et al.
- Second Circuit – Visual Artists Rights Act: Kerson v. Vermont Law School Inc.
- NYS Advisory Committee on Judicial Ethics – Former foreclosure referee: Opinion 22-157
- NYS Advisory Committee on Judicial Ethics – College honorarium: Opinion 22-156
- Second Circuit – Reasonable accommodation: Tafolla v. Heilig
- Fourth Department – Labor Law: Primisch v. Peroxychem LLC
- Appeals court upholds Supreme Court ruling
- Assistant district attorney appointed City Court judge by Rochester mayor
- Murder conviction affirmed despite trial judge error
- NY appeals court upholds conviction in burglary case
- Federal lawsuit reinstated against jail officer over strip search, delayed release
- Hyzon to pay $25M penalty to settle alleged fraud charges by SEC
- NY appeals court reinstates lawsuit over contract to remove snow
- Fourth Department affirms $400K judgment in contract dispute