BUFFALO — After three defendants fatally overdosed in a single week last year, it became clear that Buffalo’s ordinary drug treatment court was no match for the heroin and painkiller crisis. Now the city is experimenting with the nation’s first opioid crisis intervention court, which can get users into treatment within hours of their arrest […]
TOKYO (AP) — Japanese electronics company Panasonic and U.S. electric car maker Tesla said Tuesday they plan to begin production of photovoltaic cells and modules at a factory in Buffalo. The two companies said they finalized an agreement calling for Tokyo-based Panasonic to pay capital costs for the manufacturing. Palo Alto, California-based Tesla made a […]
ALBANY — The Buffalo teachers union is challenging the superintendent’s right to make changes at five persistently struggling schools under the state’s receivership law. The New York State United Teachers filed a lawsuit in Albany Tuesday on behalf of the Buffalo Teachers Federation. It seeks to strike down state Education Commissioner MaryEllen Elia’s November decision [&helli[...]
BUFFALO — Bars in the Buffalo area can continue to have last call at 4 a.m. after the Erie County Legislature rejected a measure that would have pushed closing time back to 2 a.m. County lawmakers on Thursday voted 7-3 against the proposal to make 2 a.m. the legal closing time. Supporters of the measure […]
BUFFALO — Buffalo has been chosen the site of the 2016 New York State Republican Convention. State Chairman Ed Cox and Erie County Chairman Nick Langworthy announced the site during a press conference Tuesday in Buffalo. On the agenda is choosing a candidate to run for the U.S. Senate seat held by Democrat Charles Schumer. […]
BUFFALO — Federal prosecutors say a 56-year-old postal carrier has pleaded guilty to bribery for taking money from Buffalo drug dealers in exchange for handling drug deliveries. U.S. Attorney William Hochul Jr. announced Thursday that Dennis Bernhard, of Derby, faces a maximum penalty of 15 years in prison and a $250,000 fine when he’s sentenced […]
SolarCity says the rooftop panels it will make at a plant being built in Buffalo have been rated the most efficient in the world. The San Mateo, California-based solar installer says Friday the new module produces 30 to 40 percent more power than a same-size standard panel. The company also says it can make the […]
ALBANY — New York’s attorney general has asked banks and utilities to waive late payment fees for residents who were affected by the recent storm that dumped as much as 7 feet of snow near Buffalo. Residents have been through enough and shouldn’t have to worry about paying fees because their credit card, utility and […]
BUFFALO (AP) — A settlement has been reached in the only case to go to trial following a 2009 plane crash into a home outside Buffalo that killed 50 people. The deal was announced Thursday in state Supreme Court in Buffalo after more than a month of testimony. The wrongful death case was brought by […]
Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s bumpy win in the Democratic primary is energizing his general election opponents, who said Wednesday that a little-known liberal challenger’s better-than-expected showing exposed big problems for the governor within his own party. The governor traveled to Buffalo for a victory celebration with running mate Kathy Hochul as his campaign pivots to […]
BUFFALO — A bank purposely avoided giving mortgages to African-Americans by locating all of its branches outside black neighborhoods and directing advertising and loan products toward largely white communities, New York’s attorney general said in a lawsuit filed Tuesday as part of a wider investigation into an illegal practice known as redlining. Evans Bank is […]
A growing Syracuse law firm is expanding to Buffalo, which will increase client access across the state.
- NYS Advisory Committee on Judicial Ethics – Attorney misconduct: Opinion 22-164
- NYS Advisory Committee on Judicial Ethics – Independently written bench book: Opinion 22-163
- Fourth Department – Suppression: People v. Saeli
- Second Circuit – RICO: Horn v. Medical Marijuana Inc.
- NYS Advisory Committee on Judicial Ethics – Uncompensated interview: Opinion 22-159
- NYS Advisory Committee on Judicial Ethics – Uncompensated guest speaker: Opinion 22-158
- Fourth Department – Negligent performance: Rosenthal v. Syracuse University, et al.
- Second Circuit – Visual Artists Rights Act: Kerson v. Vermont Law School Inc.
- NYS Advisory Committee on Judicial Ethics – Former foreclosure referee: Opinion 22-157
- NYS Advisory Committee on Judicial Ethics – College honorarium: Opinion 22-156
- Second Circuit – Reasonable accommodation: Tafolla v. Heilig
- Fourth Department – Labor Law: Primisch v. Peroxychem LLC
- Appeals court upholds Supreme Court ruling
- Assistant district attorney appointed City Court judge by Rochester mayor
- Murder conviction affirmed despite trial judge error
- NY appeals court upholds conviction in burglary case
- Federal lawsuit reinstated against jail officer over strip search, delayed release
- Hyzon to pay $25M penalty to settle alleged fraud charges by SEC
- NY appeals court reinstates lawsuit over contract to remove snow
- Fourth Department affirms $400K judgment in contract dispute