WASHINGTON — Efforts to resolve the government shutdown were at a standstill Thursday as President Barack Obama and House Speaker John Boehner traded barbs, the Treasury warned of a dire risk to the economy ahead and work in the Capitol was briefly halted because of gunshots outside. U.S. Capitol police put the entire complex under […]
Say a family is faced with a mortgage and credit card debt and just cannot continue to pay their bills. And the responsible action is taken — one member of the family, or more, takes on a part-time job. Instead of applying the extra paycheck to pay down the credit card debt, however, they decide […]
The ongoing foreclosure rescue scam crisis was highlighted this week during a press conference to identify top consumer complaints in New York. During this National Consumer Protection Week event, representatives offered guidance on avoiding financial scams, including loan modification scams. The Loan Modification Scam Alert Campaign educates homeowners about the warning signs that indicate a [&he[...]
The latest local and national foreclosure figures provided by RealtyTrac Inc. indicate foreclosure rates are down, but these figures certainly don’t indicate the foreclosure crisis is ending. Foreclosure activity hit a 44-month low in July and was down nearly 35 percent ...
ALBANY — Lt. Gov. Richard Ravitch is known for helping engineer historic rescues of governments in crisis. Now he says states in the U.S. are headed toward what he calls a fiscal “cliff” this summer when temporary federal stimulus money spent on education ...
- Second Circuit – Class certification: Arkansas Teachers Retirement System V. Goldman Sachs Group Inc.
- Fourth Department – Show-up identification: People v. Waggoner
- Fourth Department – Association: Victory Village Tenants Assoc. v. Evergreen Communities, et al.
- Second Circuit – In personam jurisdiction: Kaplan v. Bank Saderat PLC
- Fourth Department – Labor Law: Verdugo v. Fox Building Group
- Fourth Department – Out-of-possession landlord: Truax v. M.D. Meyer’s Properties
- Fourth Department – Discovery: Sylvester v. Sanders
- Fourth Department – Out-of-possession landlord: Smith v. Marshall Farms Group, et al.
- Second Circuit – Supervised release: United States v. Francis
- Fourth Department – Court of Claims: Santiago v. State of New York
- Fourth Department – Peremptory challenge: People v. Santiago
- Fourth Department – Negligence: Scime v. Hale Northeastern
- The Daily Record’s Power List for Intellectual Property 2023
- NY ethics panel says judges can join NRA
- Harter Secrest & Emery LLP names partner-in-charge of Buffalo office
- Banned professor sues SUNY Fredonia leaders
- Hochul signs law requiring unemployment insurance information from employers
- Appeals court cancels fine against Rochester nursing home
- Deal reached to protect reproductive health care rights at Jefferson County jail
- $1.5M settlement reached in fatal shooting by Canandaigua police officer