Bethel Christian Academy in Howard County, Maryland, instructs students that “marriage is a covenant between one man and one woman.” When they arrive at the school’s campuses in and around the community of Savage, they are expected to dress and use facilities according to their “biological gender” because “God immutably bestows gender upon each person […]
BALTIMORE — The American Bar Association filed suit this week against the U.S. Department of Education, alleging the department failed to provide a reasonable explanation for why it has decided to refuse to honor loan forgiveness commitments made to attorneys engaged in public interest law and other public service jobs. The suit names four individual […]
Rochester has some well-documented challenges that must be overcome — fifth in the nation in childhood poverty, last in the nation in black male graduates and second to last in Latino male graduates — in order for investments in downtown and elsewhere in the city to pay off over time. Investments also are critical in […]
BUFFALO — New York education and business leaders will brainstorm this week to address the conflicting problems of unemployment and unfilled jobs. A conference planned by the state Education Department will focus on how to prepare students to land jobs at companies like IBM, whose leaders describe a “skills gap” separating the availability of workers […]
Representatives from Jefferson Community College and St. John Fisher College on Monday signed a memorandum of understanding making St. John Fisher College an official partner institution in Jefferson Community College’s Higher Education Center initiative. St. John Fisher College will offer an education doctorate in executive leadership on Jefferson’s campus in Watertown beginning in May. The [[...]
Robert and Priscilla Brown of Rochester are firm believers that education is the key to success. They learned when their sons were in school that not all children have the same opportunities and have spent the last 20 years trying to help city students.
As Nicole Black explains, it’s time for law schools to truly prepare students for the realities of the job market following graduation.
U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit Sexual Harassment Education Papelino v. Albany College of Pharmacy of Union University 09-4248-cv Appealed from the Northern District of New York Background: This appeal is from an order that dismissed the plaintiffs-appellants’ sexual harassment and retaliation claims under Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 and breach of […]
At a U.S. Senate hearing on legislation aimed at closing the gender pay gap, lawmakers, federal agents and experts spent much of the time discussing whether the bill would result in a flood of litigation ...
- Court of Appeals – Speedy trial: People v. Justice A.
- Fourth Department – Traffic stop: People v. McMillon
- Second Circuit – Fair Labor Standards Act: Abbott v. Comme Des Garcons, Ltd.
- Second Circuit – Plea agreements: Cook v. United States
- Fourth Department: Statute of limitations: Marino v. Weiler
- Fourth Department – Nail and mail service: Rebutting presumption of service L&W Supply Corporation v. Built-Rite Drywall Corp, et al
- Fourth Department – Mental Hygiene Law: Charles L. v. State of New York
- Second Circuit – Medicaid and Medicare certification: U.S. ex rel. Quartararo v. Cath. Health Sys. Of Long Island Inc.
- Fourth Department – Waiver of indictment: People v. King
- Fourth Department – Speedy trial: People v. Jordan
- Fourth Department – Rosario material: People v. Dennard
- Second Circuit – Magnuson-Stevens Act: State of New York v. Raimondo
- Split court affirms gun conviction
- N.Y. Court of Appeals reverses gun conviction
- NY board approves cannabis lawsuit settlements, paves way for retail dispensaries
- NY Court of Appeals reverses murder conviction because of illegal police search
- NY Court of Appeals reverses gun conviction over ineffective counsel
- Split court affirms gun conviction, finding search and arrest were legal
- NY appeals court vacates drug conviction over illegal police search
- Split Court of Appeals strips Police Accountability Board of disciplinary power