U.S. District Court, WDNY Eighth Amendment Prisoner Deprivation Orders Dumpson, et al. v. Goord, et al. 00-cv-6039-CJS Judge Siragusa Background: The plaintiffs were inmates at Southport Correctional Facility. The facility used a Progressive Inmate Movement System that classified inmates according to their disciplinary problems. Pursuant to the PIMS system, all new entries were classified as [&hel[...]
U.S. District Court, WDNY Eighth Amendment Wanton Conduct Purnell v. Groveland Correctional Medical Unit 10-cv-6358L Judge Larimer Background: The plaintiff, a former inmate of the Groveland Correctional Facility, brought suit alleging numerous constitutional violations. He alleged that he suffered from an unnamed physical impairment that made it difficult for him to walk. The plaintiff further [&[...]
New York State Court of Appeals Eighth Amendment Medical Treatment — Experimental Treatment Matter of Wooley v. New York State Department of Correctional Services No. 129 Appealed from the Third Department Background: At issue on appeal is whether the denial of maintenance Hepatitis C drug therapy following two 48-week treatments constituted cruel and unusual punishment […]
- Second Circuit – Plea agreements: Cook v. United States
- Fourth Department: Statute of limitations: Marino v. Weiler
- Fourth Department – Nail and mail service: Rebutting presumption of service L&W Supply Corporation v. Built-Rite Drywall Corp, et al
- Fourth Department – Mental Hygiene Law: Charles L. v. State of New York
- Second Circuit – Medicaid and Medicare certification: U.S. ex rel. Quartararo v. Cath. Health Sys. Of Long Island Inc.
- Fourth Department – Waiver of indictment: People v. King
- Fourth Department – Speedy trial: People v. Jordan
- Fourth Department – Rosario material: People v. Dennard
- Second Circuit – Magnuson-Stevens Act: State of New York v. Raimondo
- Fourth Department – Plea: People v. Davis
- Second Circuit – Revocation of minimum sentence: Bangs v. Walter William Smith, et al.
- Fourth Department – Relation-back doctrine: CHS Inc. v. Land O’Lakes Purina Feed, et al.
- Split court affirms gun conviction
- N.Y. Court of Appeals reverses gun conviction
- NY board approves cannabis lawsuit settlements, paves way for retail dispensaries
- NY Court of Appeals reverses murder conviction because of illegal police search
- NY Court of Appeals reverses gun conviction over ineffective counsel
- Split court affirms gun conviction, finding search and arrest were legal
- NY appeals court vacates drug conviction over illegal police search
- Split Court of Appeals strips Police Accountability Board of disciplinary power