ALBANY — New York’s attorney general on Friday accused some of the nation’s largest banks of deceit and fraud in using an electronic mortgage registry that he said puts homeowners at a disadvantage in foreclosures. Democrat Eric Schneiderman sued Bank of America, J.P. Morgan Chase and Wells Fargo over their use of the Mortgage Electronic […]
In a Dec. 19 letter to major mortgage lenders in New York state, Department of Financial Services Superintendent Benjamin M. Lawsky asked lenders to proceed expeditiously to substitute new counsel in foreclosure cases previously handled by the Steven J. Baum Law Firm, and to not charge homeowners penalties, fees, costs or accrued interest. “Through no […]
This week, Amherst, N.Y.-based foreclosure attorney Steven J. Baum announced a mass layoff of his firm’s employees. The firm, Steven J. Baum PC, filed a Worker Adjustment and Retraining notice pursuant to federal labor laws. Several reports indicated the firm would cease doing business, but in a Nov. 21 letter to the New York State […]
LOS ANGELES — More U.S. homes entered the foreclosure process in October than in the previous month, with Florida, Pennsylvania and Indiana registering among the largest monthly increases, new data show. Some 77,733 properties received an initial default notice last month, up 10 percent from September, foreclosure listing firm RealtyTrac Inc. said Thursday. The number […]
Appellate Division, Fourth Department — Foreclosure: Merrill Lynch Credit Corporation v. Smith, et al.
Appellate Division, Fourth Department Foreclosure Fraud — Pleading Requirements Merrill Lynch Credit Corporation v. Smith, et al. CA 11-00729 Appealed from Supreme Court, Monroe County Background: The defendants-third-party plaintiffs purchased property from the defendants in 1997. The third-party defendants did a title search and prepared a title abstract, which was certified at the time of [&h[...]
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit Foreclosure Sovereign Immunity — Notice Oneida Indian Nation of New York v. Madison County and Oneida County 05-6408-cv Judges Cabranes, Sack and Hall Background: In separate actions, the Oneida Indian Nation brought suit against Madison and Oneida counties to enjoin them from assessing property tax on property […]
It will be up to state courts to decide whether properties owned by the Oneida Indian Nation are exempt under state Indian and real property tax laws. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit last week vacated a district court’s ruling ...
Irvine, Calif.-based RealtyTrac reports that the volume of distressed home sales declined across the U.S. in the second quarter.
As one of the most well known foreclosure attorneys in the state, Steven J. Baum gets a lot of media criticism and negative attention for the thousands of cases his firm handles.
On a hot day in front of the Southwest quadrant home she’s lived in for years with her family, Catherine Lennon said she had good news to share with her supporters and members of the media. Lennon’s order of eviction issued by Judge Melchor Castro ...
LOS ANGELES — It seemed Maria Campusano's financial problems were behind her when the mortgage on her Victorian home in a Massachusetts mill town was chopped by hundreds of dollars a month. She soon learned that her troubles had just begun.
Video profiles of homes for sale through the city of Rochester’s HOME Rochester program can be viewed on the city’s website at www.cityofrochester.gov/ynh. The new video segments are taken from “Your New Home,” a television program ...
- Second Circuit – Class certification: Arkansas Teachers Retirement System V. Goldman Sachs Group Inc.
- Fourth Department – Show-up identification: People v. Waggoner
- Fourth Department – Association: Victory Village Tenants Assoc. v. Evergreen Communities, et al.
- Second Circuit – In personam jurisdiction: Kaplan v. Bank Saderat PLC
- Fourth Department – Labor Law: Verdugo v. Fox Building Group
- Fourth Department – Out-of-possession landlord: Truax v. M.D. Meyer’s Properties
- Fourth Department – Discovery: Sylvester v. Sanders
- Fourth Department – Out-of-possession landlord: Smith v. Marshall Farms Group, et al.
- Second Circuit – Supervised release: United States v. Francis
- Fourth Department – Court of Claims: Santiago v. State of New York
- Fourth Department – Peremptory challenge: People v. Santiago
- Fourth Department – Negligence: Scime v. Hale Northeastern
- NY ethics panel says judges can join NRA
- Harter Secrest & Emery LLP names partner-in-charge of Buffalo office
- Banned professor sues SUNY Fredonia leaders
- Hochul signs law requiring unemployment insurance information from employers
- Appeals court cancels fine against Rochester nursing home
- Deal reached to protect reproductive health care rights at Jefferson County jail
- $1.5M settlement reached in fatal shooting by Canandaigua police officer
- Orleans County lawsuit against Genesee County threatens STAMP development