ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — A bill to legalize sports betting has been introduced in the New York state Senate. Republican Sen. John Bonacic of Orange County announced his proposal Thursday. It would authorize sports betting in casinos and online, and subject casino sports betting to an 8.5 percent tax on gross revenue. Sports betting operators […]
NEWARK, N.J. — Supporters of legalized sports gambling in New Jersey and several other states were dealt a no-decision of sorts Tuesday when the U.S. Supreme Court delayed a ruling on whether it will take up the states’ challenge to a federal ban. The court invited the solicitor general to file a brief on behalf […]
NEW YORK — The country’s two biggest daily fantasy sports companies filed court papers on Friday in New York, asking a judge to stop the state attorney general’s efforts to shut down their operations and rule on the legality of their businesses. In separate complaints filed in state Supreme Court in Manhattan, FanDuel and DraftKings […]
ALBANY — Even before polls closed on what would be a resounding victory authorizing seven Las Vegas-style casinos in New York, confident developers were making plans to announce specifics of the splashy hotels and gambling palaces they hoped to build in places like the Catskills that badly need an economic jolt. Tuesday’s vote, which passed […]
ALBANY — As New York moves to expand gambling, Gov. Andrew Cuomo and legislative leaders have quietly deleted a proposed ban on accepting campaign contributions from casino operators. Cuomo had said as recently as June 6 that he wanted to rid his casino proposal of politics. Albany’s past expansions of gambling have resulted in some […]
ALBANY — A privately funded plan to build the world’s biggest convention center in New York City with 3,000 hotel rooms and an inside track to expanded gambling got a powerful boost Wednesday from Gov. Andrew Cuomo. Cuomo pushed for a development company’s proposal for Aqueduct racetrack in Queens in his State of the State […]
BUFFALO — The Seneca Indian Nation will seek expedited arbitration to settle a dispute with New York that has held up payment of $330 million in gambling profits to the state and three cities where the tribe has casinos. Seneca President Robert Odawi Porter said Thursday that Gov. Andrew Cuomo had failed to make a […]
ALBANY — The St. Regis Mohawk Tribal Council has stopped sharing revenue from the casino along New York's northern border with the state, claiming the exclusivity provision of its gambling compact has been violated.
BUFFALO — The Seneca Nation of Indians has voted to withhold a casino payment to New York, claiming the state has violated terms of a 2001 gambling agreement. Leaders of the western New York tribe ...
A taxpayer who read a few books on gambling and had reasons for gambling on certain days or at certain hours qualified as a professional gambler and could deduct her losses against her gambling income, the U.S. Tax Court has ruled.
ALBANY — The expansion of gambling in New York is having a streak of bad luck. The recession has interrupted more than $900 million in construction work on a Seneca Indian casino ...
- Fourth Department – Bill of particulars: Harris v. Rome Memorial Hospital, et al.
- NYS Advisory Committee on Judicial Ethics – Accusations against co-judge: Opinion 22-148
- Fourth Department – Medicaid: Washington Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing Home v. NYS Dept. of Health
- Fourth Department – Criminal possession of a firearm: People v. Wilson
- Fourth Department – Promoting prostitution: People v. Watts
- Second Circuit – Class certification: Arkansas Teachers Retirement System V. Goldman Sachs Group Inc.
- Fourth Department – Show-up identification: People v. Waggoner
- Fourth Department – Association: Victory Village Tenants Assoc. v. Evergreen Communities, et al.
- Second Circuit – In personam jurisdiction: Kaplan v. Bank Saderat PLC
- Fourth Department – Labor Law: Verdugo v. Fox Building Group
- Fourth Department – Out-of-possession landlord: Truax v. M.D. Meyer’s Properties
- Fourth Department – Discovery: Sylvester v. Sanders
- Espinosa named general counsel at Greenlight Networks
- Barclay Damon hires attorney Matt Smith
- Rochester man sues Geneseo police, alleging false arrest, assault
- The Daily Record’s Power List for Intellectual Property 2023
- NY ethics panel says judges can join NRA
- Harter Secrest & Emery LLP names partner-in-charge of Buffalo office
- Banned professor sues SUNY Fredonia leaders
- Hochul signs law requiring unemployment insurance information from employers