SIOUX FALLS, S.D. — A cannabis cultivation expert who was prosecuted in South Dakota after working with a Native American tribe trying to open the nation’s first marijuana resort will see his drug case dismissed. A sentence handed down Tuesday for Jonathan Hunt caps the state’s prosecution of two consultants who worked with the Flandreau […]
Federal officials on Wednesday launched a new program that will allow tribes access to national criminal databases and fix a system that allowed a man to buy a gun that was later used by his son to kill four classmates and himself at a Washington high school. Raymond Fryberg was the subject of a 2001 […]
Even if a U.S. Supreme Court ruling this spring makes same-sex marriage the law, it would leave pockets of the country where it isn’t likely to be recognized any time soon: the reservations of a handful of sovereign Native American tribes, including the nation’s two largest. Since 2011, as the number of states recognizing such […]
WASHINGTON (AP) — A Native American group is asking the international community to charge the United States with human rights violations in hopes of getting help with a land claim. The Onondaga Indian Nation says it plans to file a petition at the Organization of American States on Tuesday, seeking human rights violations against the […]
BUFFALO — New York's decades-old quest to tax the millions of cartons of cigarettes sold by Indian tribes to non-Native customers was revived on Tuesday after an appeals court lifted an order blocking collection of the $4.35-per-pack tax.
The state is gearing up to start collecting taxes on cigarettes sold to non Indians at Indian businesses, but one tribe has already filed suit to stop the action. A state judge in Buffalo has issued a temporary order preventing the state ...
New York voters strongly support Indian treaties, which prevent taxation of Native American-sold goods, according to a new Zogby International poll conducted on behalf of the Seneca Nation of Indians.
- Second Circuit – Class certification: Arkansas Teachers Retirement System V. Goldman Sachs Group Inc.
- Fourth Department – Show-up identification: People v. Waggoner
- Fourth Department – Association: Victory Village Tenants Assoc. v. Evergreen Communities, et al.
- Second Circuit – In personam jurisdiction: Kaplan v. Bank Saderat PLC
- Fourth Department – Labor Law: Verdugo v. Fox Building Group
- Fourth Department – Out-of-possession landlord: Truax v. M.D. Meyer’s Properties
- Fourth Department – Discovery: Sylvester v. Sanders
- Fourth Department – Out-of-possession landlord: Smith v. Marshall Farms Group, et al.
- Second Circuit – Supervised release: United States v. Francis
- Fourth Department – Court of Claims: Santiago v. State of New York
- Fourth Department – Peremptory challenge: People v. Santiago
- Fourth Department – Negligence: Scime v. Hale Northeastern
- NY ethics panel says judges can join NRA
- Harter Secrest & Emery LLP names partner-in-charge of Buffalo office
- Banned professor sues SUNY Fredonia leaders
- Hochul signs law requiring unemployment insurance information from employers
- Appeals court cancels fine against Rochester nursing home
- Deal reached to protect reproductive health care rights at Jefferson County jail
- $1.5M settlement reached in fatal shooting by Canandaigua police officer
- Orleans County lawsuit against Genesee County threatens STAMP development