The New York State Bar Association has released ratings for the seven candidates nominated to fill the vacancy of chief judge of the New York State Court of Appeals and the state of New York.
The New York State Court of Appeals has reversed a lower court decision and reinstated convictions for a man who sent text messages with sexual content to a 15-year-old victim.
The New York State Court of Appeals has upheld a weapon conviction, despite a ruling that the trial judge should not had admitted DNA evidence without a hearing..
A state appeals court has reinstated a lawsuit against the state of New York by a man who claims he was wrongfully convicted and imprisoned.
The state’s highest court has ordered a new trial because a defense lawyer was not allowed to attend a psychiatric interview with the defendant.
In a split decision, the state’s highest court has upheld an assault conviction in a case where a juror stood up in court and threatened to leave because she was offended by the language used by one of the lawyers. The incident “provided no basis to indicate (the juror) was grossly unqualified,” according to the […]
The New York State Court of Appeals has reversed a lower court ruling that a search of a vehicle conducted by local police was improper because a federal law enforcement officer made the initial traffic stop. Chief Judge Janet DiFiore and judges Leslie Stein, Michael Garcia, and Rowan D. Wilson concurred. Judge Eugene M. Fahey […]
NEW YORK (AP) — New York state’s highest court has upheld a former doctor’s conviction in what was believed to be the state’s first manslaughter case against a physician in an overdose death. The Court of Appeals ruled Tuesday in Stan Li’s case. The onetime anesthesiologist from Hamilton, New Jersey, was convicted in 2014 in […]
ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — New York is appealing a court decision that has halted trail work in the Adirondacks. The Department of Environmental Conservation is asking the state’s highest court to reverse a mid-level court ruling in a lawsuit filed by the environmental group Protect the Adirondacks. The group sued in 2013, claiming the state […]
NEW YORK (AP) — New York City’s requirement that infants and preschoolers in city-regulated child care or school-based programs must get yearly flu shots was upheld Thursday by the state’s highest court. The Court of Appeals said that the city’s Department of Health had the authority to require the shots, a rule the city first […]
The New York State Court of Appeals has suspended Rochester City Court Judge Leticia Astacio after authorities say she tried to buy a shotgun in violation of her probation for a drunken driving conviction. Astacio was charged Tuesday with attempted criminal purchase of a weapon. The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office was called to a Dick’s […]
The first openly gay member of New York state’s highest court is being sworn in. Judge Paul Feinman will formally take his place on the Court of Appeals following a ceremony Wednesday in Albany. Feinman has been a judge for more than 20 years. He fills a vacancy created by the death of Judge Sheila […]
- Fourth Department – Negligent performance: Rosenthal v. Syracuse University, et al.
- Second Circuit – Visual Artists Rights Act: Kerson v. Vermont Law School Inc.
- NYS Advisory Committee on Judicial Ethics – Former foreclosure referee: Opinion 22-157
- NYS Advisory Committee on Judicial Ethics – College honorarium: Opinion 22-156
- Second Circuit – Reasonable accommodation: Tafolla v. Heilig
- Fourth Department – Labor Law: Primisch v. Peroxychem LLC
- NYS Advisory Committee on Judicial Ethics – Judicial candidacy: Opinion 22-155
- Fourth Department – Defamation: Lavine v. Glavin
- NYS Advisory Committee on Judicial Ethics – Law clerk: Opinion 22-154
- NYS Advisory Committee on Judicial Ethics – Review of another judge’s actions: Opinion 22-153
- NYS Advisory Committee on Judicial Ethics – Charitable contributions: Opinion 22-150
- Second Circuit – Class action settlement: Moses v. The New York Times Company
- Appeals court upholds conviction
- Federal lawsuit reinstated against jail officer over strip search, delayed release
- Hyzon to pay $25M penalty to settle alleged fraud charges by SEC
- NY appeals court reinstates lawsuit over contract to remove snow
- Fourth Department affirms $400K judgment in contract dispute
- Fourth Department affirms decision in NY property dispute
- Greenlight Networks selects Buffalo-based attorney as general counsel
- Barclay Damon hires attorney Matt Smith