Gov. Kathy Hochul announced 11 appointments and four reappointments to the New York State Court of Claims.
A New York appeals court has reversed a New York State Court of Claims decision that granted partial summary judgment on the issue of liability.
A state appeals court has refused to dismiss a lawsuit filed by a woman who was injured in a state park. In May 2020, the state Court of Claims denied a motion filed by attorneys representing the state of New York after Amy L. Alexander filed a complaint seeking damages for injuries she suffered on […]
A state Court of Claims judge recently awarded a state prison inmate $53 — one dollar for each family photograph taken from the inmate’s cell during a search for contraband. Willie Williams, the inmate at Sullivan Correctional Facility in Fallsburg, Sullivan County, filed a claim after property was confiscated in January 2016 and destroyed. A […]
The damages phase of a job-site injury lawsuit is scheduled to get underway July 31 before New York State Court of Claims Judge Renee Forgensi Minarik. Minarik has already decided that each side in the case is equally liable. “I find that the fault for this accident is evenly split 50 percent due to claimant’s […]
Appellate Division, Fourth Department – Court of Claims – Premise Liability – Parking Lot St. John v. State of New York CA 14-00816 Appealed from Court of Claims Background: The claimant commenced a labor law and negligence action after she sustained injuries from an alleged slip and fall as she attempted to attach […]
Appellate Division, Fourth Department Court of Claims Notice of Claim — Specificity Mosley v. State of New York CA 13-01780 Appealed from Court of Claims Background: After being injured in a slip and fall outside the Orleans Correctional Facility, the claimant served a Notice of Claim upon the attorney general two months after the incident. […]
Appellate Division, Fourth Department Court of Claims Notice of Intention — Accrual Torres v. State of New York CA 11-02472 Appealed from Court of Claims Background: The claimant appealed from an order that granted the defendant’s motion to dismiss the claim on the ground that the claimant failed to comply with section 10 (3) of […]
NYS Advisory Committee on Judicial Ethics Court of Claims Relative’s Claim Against a State Trooper Opinion 11-34 Background: A Court of Claims judge advises that his close relative was injured in a collision with an official vehicle driven by a New York state trooper. The judge asked whether he may preside or continue to preside […]
Appellate Division, Fourth Department Court of Claims Subject Matter Jurisdiction Green v. State CA 11-00437 Appealed from Court of Claims Background: The claimant, a prisoner incarcerated at the Elmira Correctional Facility, filed a claim seeking damages due to “improprieties imposed upon him via disciplinary actions.” The court of claims denied the claimant’s motion for summary […]
New York State Court of Claims Court of Claims Notice of Claim Cloyce v. State of New York 2011-044-509 Judge Schaewe Background: The claimant alleged that his appearances before the parole board were not timely held and, therefore, he was denied due process of law. The claimant moved for a default judgment. The claimant provided […]
- Fourth Department – Bill of particulars: Harris v. Rome Memorial Hospital, et al.
- NYS Advisory Committee on Judicial Ethics – Accusations against co-judge: Opinion 22-148
- Fourth Department – Medicaid: Washington Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing Home v. NYS Dept. of Health
- Fourth Department – Criminal possession of a firearm: People v. Wilson
- Fourth Department – Promoting prostitution: People v. Watts
- Second Circuit – Class certification: Arkansas Teachers Retirement System V. Goldman Sachs Group Inc.
- Fourth Department – Show-up identification: People v. Waggoner
- Fourth Department – Association: Victory Village Tenants Assoc. v. Evergreen Communities, et al.
- Second Circuit – In personam jurisdiction: Kaplan v. Bank Saderat PLC
- Fourth Department – Labor Law: Verdugo v. Fox Building Group
- Fourth Department – Out-of-possession landlord: Truax v. M.D. Meyer’s Properties
- Fourth Department – Discovery: Sylvester v. Sanders
- Espinosa named general counsel at Greenlight Networks
- Barclay Damon hires attorney Matt Smith
- Rochester man sues Geneseo police, alleging false arrest, assault
- The Daily Record’s Power List for Intellectual Property 2023
- NY ethics panel says judges can join NRA
- Harter Secrest & Emery LLP names partner-in-charge of Buffalo office
- Banned professor sues SUNY Fredonia leaders
- Hochul signs law requiring unemployment insurance information from employers